Edwin King (edwin.king@VIRGIN.NET) posted the following on MARHST-L in April, 2000. It appears here by permission.
Someone asked the sensible question of what, in the critia for the award
of the Mercantile Maritime Medal, constituted "Danger Zones". They
- Voyages to or from any port in the UK, France or the Mediterranean
- New Zealand: Cape Farewell or Three Kings between 18 Jan 1917 and 11 Nov 1918
- Australia: Cape Gabo between 18 Jan 1917 and 11 Nov 1918
- Pacific: voyages to the West Coast of America between 4 Aug 1914 and Feb 1918
- Indian Ocean: including Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea between 4 Aug 1914 and 9th Nov 1914, Colombo, Bombay or Aden between 18 Jan 1917 and 11 Nov 1918
- Africa: West Coast bewteen 4 Aug 1914 and 4 Mar 1916, Round Cape De Verde or Sierra Leone between 15 May 1918 and 11 Nov 1918
- Atlantic Ocean: North of Equator from 1 Nov 1917 to 11 Nov 1918
- Between Singapore and Hong Kong from 18 Jan 1917 to 11 Nov 1918
Return to WWI The Maritime War
Return to WWI Archive main page.